Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Rescue Review: Feral Friends

Hello everyone! How have you all been keeping?

Let's enjoy another Rescue Review.

About a year ago, James F. adopted a cat from Dallas-area rescue Feral Friends. It was a pretty nifty experience!

You can check them out here:
http://www.feralfriends.org/

Here goes! I hope that James's experience might be able to help you decide if Feral Friends could be right for you.

CR: When, and why, did you decide you want to adopt a cat?
     -J: This spring, I moved into a new apartment. I wanted a friend to keep me company.

CR: Was getting an orange tabby, specifically, important to you?
     -J: Not really. I think personality is way more important than appearance, and that there isn't much variance in breed-correlating personalities when it comes to cats.

CR: Why did you decide to adopt a cat from a rescue instead of buying a kitten from a pet shop?
     -J: I agree with all the things you posted earlier. It's just the right thing to do.

CR: What made Feral Friends the rescue you chose?
     -J: They were convenient, all over the DFW Metroplex, and at PetSmart the day I decided to get a cat.

CR: What steps did you have to go through to adopt your cat?
     -J: He cost $100 that day. I had to fill out some paperwork saying I'd take him to the vet, not declaw him, and return him to the rescue instead of taking him to a shelter if I couldn't care for him anymore.

CR: Did they match you with your cat, or did you pick him out?
     -J: I picked him out! He was being super cute in a cage at PetSmart.

CR: What was the first month with your cat like?
     -J: Difficult. He had several health and behavioral issues that the rescue did not warn me about. They claimed to have had him in their foster care for a while so I still find this a little fishy. I feel like they were a little desperate to get rid of the cat.

CR: What is life with your cat like now?
     -J: Amazing. He took lots of hard work but is a great friend now. 

CR: Would you rescue a cat again?
     -J: Yes. Every time.

CR: Would you use this rescue again?
     -J: Maybe. Probably not. It was more difficult to get his medical records from them than it was to get human medical records from a hospital. They do give you contact information and support after you've adopted, but when you have a question about the animal's history, they seem to toss you around a lot and not be very organized. I am thankful for the group of unpaid volunteers that saves these cats, it's just all a little messy.

Source:
James F., interview, November 7th, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment