Hey rescuers!
Adopted a new waggy friend? Looking to feed him well and - well, frankly don't have $60 to shell out for a week of food?
I've got your back. Here are some moderate options that aren't packed with gunk or priced to break the bank.
These four foods came highly recommended on findthebest.com. By checking prices on Amazon and comparing them with FindTheBest's ingredient lists, I decided to do some digging and see how much nutrition I could get for a hungry pup on a tight budget.
Science Diet:
I'm sure you see this stuff everywhere and wonder - is it SCIENCE? or is it marketing? Well, it's a little of both. I was wary of buying this stuff myself for a while because I heard about vets being paid to push it to patients at small practices, but that shady story doesn't change the fact that this stuff is actually quite better for your pet than some of its competitors With real meat instead of mystery leftover bits, and whole grains instead of corn meal, it gets the feeding job done well (FindTheBest, 2012). At about $30 for a 15lb bag on Amazon, the price isn't bad, either (Amazon, 2012).
Purina Pro Plan:
Price wise, this is a little more what I'm talkin' 'bout! At around $35 for 55lbs of dog food on Amazon, this hits the wallet at a solid reasonable (Amazon, 2012). It contains no yucky preservatives, and real chicken is the first ingredient of many of the Purina Pro Plan foods. However, this chicken is stretched with meat by-products and corn (FindTheBest, 2012).
Purina One:
Similarly to Pro Plan, this food is moderately priced and contains real meat, such as lamb, as its first ingredient. It's stretched with things like oat meal and fish meal, but hey, I know what those foods are (FindTheBest, 2012). It sells at around $8 for 16lbs (Amazon, 2012). It's a moderate choice without mystery bits. I'd say it's a solid choice.
Iams Premium Protection:
Iams Premium Protection dog food, at about $30 for a 22lb bag, comes in as the least expensive of the moderate dog foods (Amazon, 2012). It contains real meat as its first ingredient, but, of course, comes stretched with corn meal (FindTheBest, 2012). It's not a bad, but not the best, option.
Sources:
Amazon.com. Search - Dry Dog Food. Retrieved from: www.amazon.com
FindTheBest. Search - Dry Dog Food. Retrieved from: www.findthebest.com
No comments:
Post a Comment